The inverse 10,000 hour rule
There are a lot of things you can get good at if you spend enough time doing deliberate practice. The opposite is also true, here is a list of things I'm lousy at because I don't do them.
- •BasketballThe inspiration for this list. I have taken to shooting hoops when I take my son to the park. I am terrible at basketball...but not as terrible as I was before I started this spring.
- •MusicI pulled out my guitar for the first time in years. I can't even play the hacky version of Wonderwall I used to pull out when a guitar was handed to me. I did manage to learn "The Wheels On The Bus" so it's not an entirely lost cause.
- •SpanishI've spent so many hours in a classroom learning Spanish that my inability to speak with confidence is an indictment of the way we teach language in school. Or I'm lazy. ¿Quién sabe?
- •DrawingHaving children is like taking a crash course in things you suck at. "Daddy will you draw with me?" quickly turns into "Daddy, what *is* that?"
- •GardeningI think this is less inexperience and more poor follow through, but let's blame the former.