SONGS I AM CURRENTLY OBSESSED WITH AND WHY
I'm always obsessed with six or seven songs at a time. I listen to them over and over until they do nothing for me, and by then I've found six or seven more to replace them. These are the current ones.
- •"Farewell Transmission," Songs: OhiaThis song reminds me of Billy Bob Thornton's character in Fargo. I can't explain it, but it's a fun association.
- •"Video Games," Lana Del ReyI didn't give this song its due when it first came out. I'm late to the party, but the party is still jumping!
- •"Black Star," Gillian WelchNormally I don't like hearing the audience during live recordings, but they really make this track. They're just so pumped about melancholy folk-jamming! I love them! When she drifts back into a verse at the 3:50ish mark, they LOSE THEIR SHIT.
- •"Frankie's Gun," The Felice BrothersI love a good accordion part, especially when the drums lock into place with it. The opening of "Rag Mama Rag" comes to mind, as well as MF Doom's "Accordion."
- •"Gave It A Name," Bruce SpringsteenBasically because "Show Me A Hero" was so good.
- •"Clearest Blue," CHVRCHESThe best abrupt transition to a monstrous, apocalyptic synth riff since "Dance Yrself Clean."
- •"Los Angeles," Margot And The Nuclear So & SosI go through pretty intense Margot phases where I'm convinced they're the greatest band of all time. The current phase has lasted like six months.
- •"While You Were Sleeping," Elvis PerkinsI like a confident acoustic guitar. Don't gently strum it like an asshole. Make that fucker BOUNCE.
- •"Dark Parts," Perfume GeniusThis feels like an intense scene from an unassuming indie drama. I'll tell you one thing though--it's kinda withholding with the drums. There's no snare drum-related resolution. The Coldplay song "The Scientist" pulls the same shit. Open it up, dudes!