SIX LITTLE-KNOWN FACTS ABOUT PONZI
You've heard of a Ponzi Scheme; here's an introduction to the original schemer, Charles Ponzi of Boston, circa 1920.
- •He donated the skin off his back to save a badly burned woman.
- •He hired a personal poet to write odes about him.
- •He carried a million-dollar bank check to prove he was legit.
- •He invested some of his "earnings" in a macaroni company.
- •Heavyweight champ "Gentleman Jim" Corbett volunteered to be his bodyguard.
- •He truly believed his scheme would work.