Why You Should Call Them 'Daesh' Instead of 'ISIS'
A breakdown of my Boston Globe Op-Ed: http://bit.ly/1zUIFai
- 1.ISIS/ISIL/IS are all names that reflect aspirations that U.S. and allies reject
- 2.Muslim scholars worldwide have denounced the group's attempt to declare a caliphate
- 3.'Daesh' strategically better because while accurate, can also be understood as a slur. BONUS: they reportedly hate the term
- 4.Propaganda central to Daesh growth and influence
- 5.Daesh understands war of words is just as key to their power and influence as gruesome acts they commit
- 6.By using terms they want, we give them and their worldview legitimacy
- 7.Ultimately this is a war of ideas not military strength
- 8.Studies show thinking in a foreign language can reduce bias and prevent emotional thinking from interfering with systematic/analytical thinking
- 9.France, Australia, Turkey already use the term 'Daesh'
- 10.'Daesh' is the name primarily used by people on the ground/in wider region - U.S. should lean into narrative of those we support