Why You Should Call Them 'Daesh' Instead of 'ISIS'
A breakdown of my Boston Globe Op-Ed: http://bit.ly/1zUIFai
- •ISIS/ISIL/IS are all names that reflect aspirations that U.S. and allies reject
- •Muslim scholars worldwide have denounced the group's attempt to declare a caliphate
- •'Daesh' strategically better because while accurate, can also be understood as a slur. BONUS: they reportedly hate the term
- •Propaganda central to Daesh growth and influence
- •Daesh understands war of words is just as key to their power and influence as gruesome acts they commit
- •By using terms they want, we give them and their worldview legitimacy
- •Ultimately this is a war of ideas not military strength
- •Studies show thinking in a foreign language can reduce bias and prevent emotional thinking from interfering with systematic/analytical thinking
- •France, Australia, Turkey already use the term 'Daesh'
- •'Daesh' is the name primarily used by people on the ground/in wider region - U.S. should lean into narrative of those we support