"Am Daily Having My Eyes Opened Wider"
Today, in the basement of an antique store in Cleveland, I found hundreds--and I mean hundreds--of photos some soldier took, I'm guessing WW2. I bought this handful for a buck:
- •Something about their relaxed postures
- •Even in inclement weather
- •And the juxtaposition of their uniforms
- •Against the pastoral setting
- •And the gaze is so intimate
- •Almost sexual
- •That these pictures feel almost ahistorical
- •Who took them?
- •Did he have a girl at home?
- •BONUS: this postcard, addressed to Mrs Fred R White, dated Nov 3 1911 Spokane WA, which reads:"Am daily having my eyes opened wider. Pretty nearly ready to start back, thank the Lord. Hastily, Bob"