Classic Movies That Really Are 💯
Took "classic" broadly: 7 old ones, 3 newer ones. Soooooooo many also-rans.
- •The ApartmentBilly. Wilder. Nobody wrote better. I could put Some Like It Hot on this list too, but I prefer Shirley MacLaine/Fran Kubelik to Marilyn Monroe/Sugar Kowalczyk.
- •Wages of FearThe scariest, most suspenseful movie I have ever seen.
- •Brief EncounterDavid Lean at his best. Two middle aged people overcome by each other. Immediacy of feeling cuts through any stodginess.
- •The Red ShoesThis is a yearly rewatch for me, and was also (with It Happen One Night, which also shd be on this list) one of my earliest memories
- •Letter to Three WivesA wild card pick, but under its old fashioned clothes lies some fascinating lingerie. Rare & stunning performance by Linda Darnell. Especially if you love All About Eve, worth a look.
- •To Be Or Not To BeCarole Lombard is my queen and Ernst Lubitsch is my king. I'd also put Shop Around The Corner on this list if I hadn't already referenced it.
- •NotoriousThe foundation of @mandi and my friendship was our mutual appreciation of this most perfect Hitchcock film. Ingrid Bergman's acting is tuned to a celestial frequency.
- •All That JazzMaybe my favorite movie of all time. Rigorous, imaginative, personal to the point of discomfort. The best use of stairs in a movie bar none (put your hand down, Gone With the Wind)
- •Boogie NightsPTA can do whatever the fuck he wants with the medium now, because he made a perfect film in his second at bat.
- •The GodfatherParts 1 and 2. Our American opera. Period. The end.