Tv I Watched With My Parents Growing Up
We were a no-TV household. Here were the exceptions.
- •Sesame Street & Mr. RogersOkay because they didn't have commercials
- •Evening news coverage of the Gulf WarThey propped me up in front of our 12 inch screen and told me I probably wouldn't see another actual war in my lifetime, so pay attention. I think they were banking on warfare going virtual. In that way, they weren't totally wrong.
- •Movies taped off the Z-channelHundreds and hundreds of bootleg VHS tapes
- •The Winter and Summer OlympicsDuh
- •The Rodney King trial & some news coverage of the ensuing riotsThey wanted us to be socially conscious
- •The OJ Simpson trialMy dad was addicted. It's the only time I remember the TV being on for any length of time in our house.
- •Some basketball & baseball gamesI asked my dad who we were "voting" for.
- •The pilot episodes of My So Called Life & FelicityI think my mom knew the show-runners?? Or maybe she wanted to give me a stab at a normal childhood. TOO LITTLE TOO LATE MADRE.