My 10 Favorite Movies
I decided to re-write this list after I turned 30 because my person has evolved and so have the movies that represent me. Certain movies just don't spark my interest as much as they used to and some movies maybe more than they used to. So, here they are in order with a short description of my love for each.
- 1.Dog Day AfternoonEvery second of this movie my heart is pounding out of my chest. The incredible performances and the twists and turns of story are just perfect.
- 2.In the Mood for LoveThe yearning and loneliness of the two leads leaps off the screen and makes my heart ache for them. I hold my breath each viewing hoping, praying the story comes out differently, but so glad it doesn't so I can experience that feeling again, that agonizing denial.
- 3.MoonlightFull disclosure, I have only seen this film twice, but both times it sat in my chest and affected me in ways I wasn't sure a movie could. I love it so much for the story and truth it speaks and for the hope it gives in its conclusion.
- 4.City LightsI'm very much a sucker for good physical comedy and this film has it and then some, but to only see that is to miss the beautiful love story at its heart. Every time it ends I'm a blubbering mess because of that last scene.
- 5.The ApartmentThe absolute charm of the two leads sells this film for me every time. Sixty-seven years of romantic comedies and sitcom episodes in between its release and now could spoil the plot, but the honesty and three dimensional characters bring me back every time
- 6.12 Angry MenWatching twelve people debate a court case in a single location was not my idea of an interesting premise until I saw this film and sat on the edge of my couch the entire time.
- 7.The MatrixThis film has been on every iteration of this list I have ever done and it remains superlative in so many ways from the incredible costumes, to the dollar store philosophy, to the still stellar special effects. It was the first R-rated film I saw without permission and I will forever cherish it.
- 8.Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless MindI thought of removing this film from the list completely, but there's a hold it has on my heart. I rediscovered it at a time I needed it most and every rewatch since then I have found myself engaged with the story within and the idea that a soulmate is a malleable concept.
- 9.PsychoI first saw this film at a midnight screening in high school where it terrified the crap out of me, but I've been drawn to it ever since with its epic first act misdirect and utterly captivating shocks throughout.
- 10.Young FrankensteinThere is no other movie I've seen that has consistently made me laugh at the same jokes, with the same intensity upon every subsequent viewing. It's just one of those perfect comedic films that hit every note.